Wed 15th October 2003 Garnett A 4 (1) vs. (0) 1 Dyslexic United

With the B's at the top of the table and gloating, the A's really felt they had something to prove after a lacklustre display against an energetic but poor Pamela Anderlecht side the week previous. However, an old nemesis of the As Dyslexic United stood in their way of victory. Now, Dyslexic have been a strong side for the last two years and the A's suffered an embarrassing 5-1 defeat at the hands of this opposition last season. It was to be a big match.

As the final whistle was blown, the A's were walking off triumphant with a 4-1 win under their belts and a position at the top of the league. However, it could have been very different. With the game poised at 1-1, a shot fired in from the right hand side of the area by the Dyslexic number 7 flew past Poole and re-bounded off the post and then off Poole's head. Luck certainly wasn't with the A's last week, but all good teams need their luck sometimes and this was a let off, this incident and what was to follow though really changing the match. The resulting clearance from Buckman caught the Dyslexic defence unaware and after eluding the centre-backs Thompson raced through to calmly slot under the keeper to put Garnett in the lead once again. A brace from Turner followed and after nearly going behind 7 minutes before, the A's 4-1 up were firmly in control and saw out the rest of the game despite a spirited resurgence from the United players.

Thompson had put the A's ahead mid-way through the first half poking the ball past the keeper after good work down the right flank from Dawson. Having been urged to just 'go out and play', the A's sensed that they could really control this game, Dyslexic are now not the side they used to be and the A's have improved immensely since last year. The passing football now employed by the A's is impressive and flows, although a little ambitious at times. Sometimes, the urge to achieve the impossible and the holding onto the ball for too long, limits the A's counter-attacking moves.

At half-time, a 1-0 score line was unfortunate for the A's; they really should have been 2 or 3 up by this stage after easy misses from Dawson and Bell. Once again this cost the A's. One feels that if they take their chances and get firmly in control of games early on the A's would be unstoppable. This team seems to be based on confidence after all. And so, it was fairly typical for the concentration to drop and the As let a goal in, once again from a set piece. With a corner swung in and not cleared an unmarked man (deadly from half a yard) poked the ball past Poole.

All credit to the A's for reasserting themselves on the game. Burke-Murphy missing the week before was welcomed back and put in a fine performance, tracking the dangerous Dyslexic number 8 and along with Alexander, was often the fulcrum for the A's attacking moves. Special mention must go to Buckman and Turner for putting in outstanding displays. Turner, took full advantage from Buckman's good work and cross from the right to control and sweep into the net for 3-1 and then hitting a speculative but clean strike that squirmed under the Dyslexic keeper. Once again this showed that testing the keeper at this level is crucial.

And so, the A's sit pretty at the top of division 1, but for how long? Concentration, commitment and consistency need to be the key words in the up and coming fixtures that include at trip to the lawyers and the eagerly awaited derby game.

Team: J.Poole, A.Buckman, D.Mullan, T.Ingham, A.Martin, T.Burke-Murphy, D.Alexander,
C.Dawson, Adam Bell, J.Thompson 2, R.Turner 2 (MoM)
Subs: V.Van-Savooyen, M.Sammons