Wed 9th November 2005 Garnett B 1 (1) vs. (2) 2 Z Lions

After last weeks disappointment in the cup, the B’s were looking to put things right against a highly rated Z lions (castle leazes) side. The team were at near enough full strength with the added bonus of having Dave Mullan and Harry Tomei from the A’s to bolster the squad. Garnett lined up with Rory Kroon between the sticks, Kieron Holmes and Petros Elia as fullbacks with Jambo Royal and Nunny completing the defensive structure. A solid centre midfield partnership of Lavers and Rob Wallace was reinforced by Aki and Johnson on the wings. Up front were the six goals in three games pairing of Marshall and Cowles. The game got off to a solid start with few chances for either side, however when called upon Kroon was solid in goal pulling off several crucial saves. After a period of pressure from Garnett, Marshall was upended in the box and the ref rewarded a penalty. Lavers stood up, placed it to the bottom left, only for the keeper to save it and Lavers to tap in the re- bound. Unfortunately the Referee ordered a re-take due to the keeper coming off his line to early, but Lavers showed steel and stroked the ball down the centre to put Garnett in the lead. Garnett began to play some good football, with the defensive pairing of Nunny and Jambo working well together and full back Petros making a noticeable impression at left back. Garnett felt they were more than holding their own thus far in the match so were disappointed when Z Lions equalised from a free kick. Kroon surrounded by a swarm of players couldn’t manage to get a decent enough punch and the Lions striker finished scrappily. It wasn’t long after this Lions were awarded a very controversial penalty after Nunny clearly got enough ball in the challenge. The Lions striker placed the penalty in the top left to put his side 2-1 up going into half time.

Changes were made at half time with Mullan coming on for Atkinson on the left wing, and Tomei replacing Johnson at right midfield. The A team boys immediately made an offensive impact causing the Lions fullbacks plenty of problems and whipping crosses into the box. Marshall and Cowles up front stepped up their game both drifting wide when needed and linking up superbly with the wingers. Garnett soon controlled possession with Z lions creating next to nothing to worry Kroon in goal. Several strong Garnett attacks were thwarted by the Lions defence however they were all bamboozled by a Mullan strike which ricocheted off the crossbar. Tomei was lively down the right and at one stage showed great trickery to break through only to choose to unselfishly pass to Cowles when maybe the strike was on. After 20 minutes of the second half it was simply mystifying that Garnett were not in the lead let alone on level terms. Another chance was squandered after a corner from the right from Marshall was struck well by Mullan, only for the keeper to make a point blank save. Chymera came on with ten minutes to go at right back for Holmes. Chance after chance went begging for Garnett with each player playing their proverbial socks off. The full time whistle went and Garnett lost a match which they were very unlucky not to win. The after game man of the match voting was the closest so far this season as every player who featured played brilliantly. Lee Marshall racked up the most votes to scoop the prize with a high work rate throughout. There is no doubt despite the loss, the players were upbeat and felt they played their best. Performances like this in future fixtures will no doubt swing our way in the not so distant future.

Author: Jambo

Team: R.Kroon, K.Holmes (E.Chymera), P.Elia, C.Nunn, J.Royal, R.Wallace, W.Johnson (H.Tomei), L.Lavery 1 (pen), L.Marshall, S.Cowle, J.Atkinson (D.Mullan)

NB: The views expressed here are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the
views of the Gosforth Garnett Bohemian Football Club as a whole.